Ok, I'll be honest. When I first heard about roasting Kobocha squash, the first thing that popped into my mind was that fizzy Kombucha drink which I am NOT a fan of. Since the names are similar, I assumed they were derived from the same plant. WRONG! The Kobocha squash is nothing like the sour, fizzy drink. LOL. We all make mistakes :) I saw a post on another blog where the gal seemed to make kobocha squash almost daily! She ate even prepared it for breakfast and ate it with a a variety of tasty toppings! This of course, prompted my interest. After seeing them around Jimbos for a few weeks, I decided to give them a shot. WOW! They are amazing! Nothing like I thought. They are nutty, sweet, and a little like sweet potatoes. These tasty little treasures are packed with bete-carotene, iron, B vitamins, and more!! And, even better - it's low in calories!!! Only about 40 kcals per cup! So I scoured the internet for recipes and found a very simple and
very tasty one from Nom-Nom Paleo! Enjoy!!!
Ingredients:
- 1 medium kabocha squash
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 F, rinse the squash under running water, and dry it.
Cut squash in half. It might be easier to cut off the top and bottom in order to expose the flesh. From there, it is easier to cut in half.
Next, clean out the seeds and stringy bit.
Slice up each of the halves (like cantaloupes)
Toss in a bowl with some melted coconut oil, salt and pepper.
Arrange on a baking sheet and pop in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.
Remove from oven and ENJOY!!!
The original recipe is from Nom-Nom Paleo and can be found at http://nomnompaleo.com/post/11136213353/roasted-kabocha-squash
No comments:
Post a Comment